Saturday 6 September 2014

On Motivation: Now

Magic happens when we're motivated!
Motivation is one of the most important factors for success - in any situation. When we are motivated, we push ourselves and get better results without feeling worn down. We have that positive drive which acts as a seemingly unending well of energy and inspiration. We can accomplish incredible things and feel amazing whilst doing them. Reaping the rewards can create a continuous cycle of positive reinforcement.

New JETs have all the motivation in the world. They have been building towards and preparing for this exciting new phase of their life which is finally coming to fruition. Everything is new and exciting and there is so much to learn and do. They are usually very genki (energetic/healthy/happy). It's us older JETs that have to be careful about losing our way.

So empty... :(
Recently, I have had some extremely contrasting weeks in terms of my own motivation. This past summer vacation was the first time that I was not away traveling; I decided to save my money and days off for future trips. Summer vacation in Japan for teachers is not like it is back home; except for a few days because of a traditional celebration to do with ancestors (お盆 ~ Obon), teachers still have to come to school - even if there are no students and seemingly nothing to do. Teachers are not automatically given long summer breaks, but have to take vacation days.

... All by myseeelllllffff ... Don't wanna be ...
Since it is my last year here, I decided to save my money and precious days off for future final trips around Japan when the weather is not disgustingly hot and humid. This meant that I was pretty well alone in a big communal office in a big empty school, and, since we had already decided to use the same curriculum I had created for the year before, I had nothing pressing to do.

I loooove my adorable students!
I found this situation to be devastating. I was bored out of my mind; chained to a desk (building?) feeling that the grass was greener anywhere else. My motivation plummeted to an absolute low, and my morale along with it.


I tried to study Japanese (as I regularly do) but couldn't concentrate for long. I read about and tried to practice playing the harmonica, my latest attempt at a new hobby, but could only do this for so long at a time. I briefly updated my online resume but most of the necessary information was on a hard-drive at my house, and somehow this was too great a hurdle. I went for walks but felt guilty if I stayed away too long as I was at "work" and "on the clock". Next, I decided to enlighten myself and read world news articles; a good activity, but one that didn't exactly help my floundering spirit. And so I counted down the hours until the next weekend, when I could enjoy my life in Japan again.

SO CUTE!! My absolute favourite!
A true story about a girl's grandfather accidentally
buying cat food and thinking it was tuna
and wanting to eat it!
How could these kids not be a
source of motivation?
I had known going into it that this past summer would be difficult for me. I know myself quite well at this point. I am a teacher because I love the students - take those away and my spirit fades. Also, I like to feel useful and accomplished in my work, so having no related tasks to complete left me feeling useless and wishing for a Canadian teacher's summer break. I know that in terms of my work, I need these two aspects to feel completely motivated; an internal feeling of purpose and external connections with students.


However, going into it, I had also known that this low phase would not last forever. I am now at the light at the end of the tunnel as things are getting back in swing at Omiya. While official classes don't start until next week, the students are around and there are various activities going on. On top of this, students have been coming to me for individual help with writing or speech competitions and I've been able to find other extra projects to do on the side, including an English Comic Competition. My teacher heart is starting to feel whole again.

So what are your main sources of motivation? How much is internal drive? How much is externally derived? How much do you actively try to affect your own patterns of motivation? Let's hope you can try a little harder than I did this past summer... ;p

In my next post;
The Japanese School Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment