Monday 25 August 2014

Exploring Miyazaki: Then


"Phase 1 forever!"
Lately I have been meeting all the new bright-eyed and bushy-tailed JETs and it has made me think of what it was (and what I was) like when I first came to Miyazaki. I was a constant ball of bubbly energy awed by everything around me! I was in Phase 1 of culture shock; the honeymoon or euphoria phase (see picture to the left for a current example of a new JET in Phase 1):

A JET's culture shock cycle
To put this in perspective for those who are unfamiliar, the JET handbook shows a typical JET's cycle of culture shock throughout the contract year (see picture to the right):

Culture shock is real, though it of course affects people differently. And it simply can't be helped, so there is no need to view the newbies' euphoria as a negative thing. For now, in this phase, I think what is most important for us who have already experienced this is to open up the channels of communication just by spending time with and helping out the new JETs as much as possible. Then later if they are struggling the other way (Phase 2 - dun dun dun!), hopefully they will reach out. And while they're having a good time, it's all gravy ;).

行きましょう!
Let's go!
The food came to our room on boat
via the water channel to the right!
In hindsight, I was certainly hit hard by this honeymoon phase and in my case I think it lasted a few months. A few posts ago I talked about what a great time I was having working with some speech contest students in my first few weeks in Japan, and so we already know my work life was pretty darn good. This time I'd like to share a bit about the social side and the wonders I experienced when first exploring Miyazaki with my new JET community. 

I was lucky enough to be placed in the "big" city in Miyazaki (pop. 400,000; though this includes many rural suburb areas surrounding the main city). Some other JETs in the prefecture are in very small towns with only a few other JETs around and not many amenities, so it can sometimes be lonely or boring for a social or outgoing person, especially if you are not great at Japanese. However, these JETs' Japanese skills do improve the fastest! Sink or swim! And, yep, you guessed it, back to my theme of human adaptability ;)

At Sun Messe Park, which has these
replica Easter Island Moai Statues
Anyway, I'm glad for being in Miyazaki City because for me it is not only convenient for finding anything I need and having many things to do, but also there are more JETs and a larger foreign community around me, which personally has been a big part of my happiness here.

We learned quickly how to "kanpai!"
In fact, I was in the teacher apartment housing block with 5 other JETs in the buildings directly around me and another 5 in some apartment buildings just a 5 minute walk away! Helllloooo automatic community! Most of the JETs directly around me were also new that year, and so all we wanted to do on weekends was get out there and explore together, and that's just what we did. And like I said in a previous post, a very special bond is made when bumbling around in a new culture as illiterate babies together.

At Aya's Teruha suspension bridge,
142m high, 250m across
Wishes are hung by Aoshima shrine
We went to the beach, onsen (温泉; hot springs) and other beautiful natural spots. We saw cultural sights like shrines, castles, and festivals. We went out to restaurants, arcades, and bars. In short we went everywhere and did everything! It's incredible knowing that the next adventure is just around the corner. They really were the best of times!

The komainu is a lion-dog
guardian protecting shrines.
They originate from the
Tang Dynasty, China.
The dragon is one of Japan's four divine
mythological creatures (also turtle, phoenix,
and kirin), and unlike European dragons,
it is a wingless water god.
I had never been to anywhere in Asia before, nor studied much about Asian culture and history, so I was especially enamoured  by all the uniquely Japanese aspects. (~ let's heap another layer onto Phase 1, eh?)

One of my favourite things about Japan is, and will always be, the traditional culture which I find so beautiful. Shrines, festivals, and castles all the way! I love discovering the long histories behind everything and the aspects of cultural significance in every little detail. Japan works hard to preserve these things; as it should - they are treasures. So if you follow this blog of my last year here in Japan, continue to expect a lot of random cultural snippets or explorations of festivals and traditional events!

And PS I love dragons. Yes, even before GOT... ;)

In my next post;
Exploring Miyazaki: Now

No comments:

Post a Comment